Welcome to MMM’s trivia challenge! Like the quotes, some of these are yawningly easy and some of them are so damn hard, that they are exactly why the Internet was invented (granted there may have been more than one reason for that). Some of these are done by memory, so if I’m wrong, feel free to drop me an email, or just badmouth me among yourselves; either is fine. Have fun and let me know when you are ready for the really hard ones (insert evil laugh here).
(Hover over the quote for the answer)
1) Which movie features an Alaskan town set upon by a gang of vampires?
2) In 3:10 To Yuma, what does the title refer to?
3) What environmental disaster film did 10,000 B.C. writer/director Roland Emmerich release in 2004?
4) What musical group is the source of most of the dialog in Across The Universe?
5) Almost Famous is the semi-autobiographical story of its director. Who is he?
6) Which movie has Denzel Washington playing NYC gangster, Frank Lucas?
7) In Angel Heart, who does Robert De Niro’s character turn out to be (be warned this answer is an ending spoiler)?
8 ) In Atonement, what does the young girl, Briony, grow up to become after being a nurse during the war?
9) What forgettable film has Hayden Christensen’s character experiencing anesthetic awareness?
10) In Back To School, why does Rodney Dangerfield’s character decide to go to university?
11) How does the title character in Bad Santa make his money?
12) What game is featured in Balls of Fury?
13) What is locked away in a London safety deposit box that the British government will stop at nothing to get their hands on in The Bank Job?
14) What film has characters played by Jack Black and Mos Def setting out to remake a bunch of 80’s films? Give your yourself a bonus mark and a pat on the back if you can remember what they call this process.
15) In Bee Movie, what is considered a perfect report card?
16) In Before the Devil Knows Your Dead, whose store do the two brothers played by Philip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke decide to rob?
17) In Beowulf, who plays Grendel’s mother?
18) Boogie Nights is the fictionalized story of which porn star?
19) What is Hilary Swank’s character pretending to be in Boys Don’t Cry?
20) Way back in 1975, Charles Bronson made an action/mystery movie called Breakheart Pass. Where did the movie primarily take place?
21)In The Bucket List, what does the title refer to?
22) What 2006 mockumentary tells the story of a few struggling high school teachers?
23) In Charlie Bartlett, the title character becomes famous at his high school for offering services as what?
24) Where does the title conflict in Charlie Wilson’s War take place?
25) What is Clark Griswold anxiously awaiting in Christmas Vacation?
26) In which film does Russell Crowe play a historical figure named James Braddock?
27) In City Slickers, what does Billy Crystal’s character name the calf whose life he saves?
28) What gets robbed in Dead Presidents?
29) In Death at a Funeral, what secret is revealed about the deceased?
30) What is the name of the office building in Die Hard?
31) What does Spike Lee’s character do for a living in Do The Right Thing?
32) In which James Bond movie is he warned about a dragon guarding Crab Key by the fisherman, Quarrel?
33) Which George Lucas film is autobiographical (Hint: Its not Star Wars)?
34) In Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indy is chased by what usually inanimate object?
35) When Sweeney Todd says “At last, my arm is complete again”, what is he holding?
36) What are the names of the three chipmunks in the film, Alvin and The Chipmunks?
1) Which movie introduced gangs that included the Baldies, the Del Bombers and the Ducky Boys?
2) When actors are performing in environments that are to be digitized in the film, what color screen serves as their backdrop?
1) How did Jada Pinkett meet her future husband, Will Smith?
2) What 1984 hit featured one-hit wonder, Ray Parker Jr. doing the title track?
3) Which NHL team travels to Alaska to play a game of pond hockey with some local boys in Mystery, Alaska?
4) In Dead Presidents, what does the title refer to?
Off The Screen: Who are these people?
5) Tom Hanks met his current wife, Rita Wilson on the set of which film?
c) Bachelor Party
6) Tom Hanks is one of Hollywood’s stratosphere-level actors, commanding around 20 million per picture and often receives a share of a picture’s profits as part of the deal.
Which of the films below was his biggest payday?
b) The Green Mile
c) Saving Private Ryan
d) Forrest Gump
7) Early in his career, Hanks auditioned for a role that became a career-builder for Tom Cruise. Which movie was it?
a) All The Right Moves
b) Fast Times at Ridgemont High
c) The Outsiders
d) Risky Business
8 ) Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise are tied for the most consecutive films with gross box office receipts over 100 million dollars. How many had they both had as of 2006?
9) Which actress was Tom Cruise’s first wife?
10) How much did Cruise earn for Mission Impossible and Mission Impossible 2 combined?
a) 55 million
b) 105 million
c) 145 million
d) 200 million +
11) What medical condition has Cruise had to deal with?
c) foetal alcohol syndrome
d) Attention deficit disorder
12) In 1998, Cruise appeared in the Razzie winner for worst picture, Cocktail. The same year he appeared in the best picture Oscar winner. What was it?
13) Which movie set did Cruise meet his ex-wife Nicole Kidman?
14) He made two other movies with her. What were they?
15) What did Brad Pitt study at the University of Missouri?
16) William Baldwin was the first choice for the small role of J.D. that served as a breakthrough for Pitt. What movie was it?
17) Who is Angelina Jolie’s actor father?
18) How many years in a row was Jolie nominated for a worst actress ‘razzie’ award?
19) What Southeast Asian country bestowed honorary citizenship on Jolie in recognition of her humanitarian efforts there?
20) Who is tallest, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Mel Gibson or Tom Hanks?
21) What TV series did Depp star in from 1987 to 1990, jump starting his career?
22) Which movie saw Depp’s first collaboration with director Tim Burton?
23) Which young actor died of a drug overdose outside Depp’s Viper Room club in 1983?
24) Which Depp co-star in the Pirates of The Caribbean series was Mel Gibson’s college roommate?
25) In 2006, Mel Gibson was believed to the richest actor in the world – was his net worth estimated to be over or under a billion dollars?
26) How many times has Mel Gibson been married?
27) How many acting Oscars has Mel Gibson been nominated for?
1) In the Highlander series, what is the only way for the immortals to be killed?
2) What is unusual about Sheriff Gunderson in Fargo? ( besides her goofy accent)
3) Which of the films below is not based on an Elmore Leonard work?
a) 3:10 To Yuma
b) The Big Easy
c) Out Of Sight
d) Jackie Brown
e) Get Shorty
1) What famous person does Val Kilmer play in True Romance?
2) What country and western star plays James Caan’s mentor in Thief?
3) In A Beautiful Mind, how do fellow faculty members show their respect for John Nash in the staff room?
4) In Street Smart, Cristopher Reeves plays a reporter who writes a great magazine article about a New York City pimp. Where does he get the information he uses in it?
5) What is the focus of the Leonardo DiCaprio feature, The 11th Hour?
6) In the movie, 1408, what does the number in the title refer to?
1) What is the name of the ice planet where The Empire Strikes Back begins?
2) What is the name of Han Solo’s ship in Star Wars?.
3) Whose role of Alex, the deceased friend in The Big Chill, was edited out by director Lawrence Kasdan?
4) To make it up to him, Kasdan cast this same actor in his next movie, a western. What was it?
5) Dustin Hoffman was voted ‘most likely to succeed’ in an acting class he took. Who was voted ‘least likely to succeed’ in that same acting class
6) What branch of the military is Tom Cruise’s character a member of in A Few Good Men?
7) In Lean on Me, Morgan Freeman plays Joe Clarke. What is Mr. Clarke’s profession?
8 ) In what movie does Morgan Freeman play a pimp named Fast Black?
9) In Catch Me If You Can, which profession does Leonardo DiCaprio’s character, Frank Abagnale, not pretend to be?
a) Airline Pilot b) Doctor
c) Lawyer d) Professor
10) Which movie has Michael Biehn climbing the world’s second highest peak?
11) Who falls into the lava of Mt. Doom clutching the ring of power in Lord of The Rings: Return of the King?
12) How do Harry and Ron arrive at Hogwart’s School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets?
13) Who plays the title character’s chauffeur in Driving Miss Daisy?
14) What movie has Steve McQueen and Paul Newman battling a burning skyscraper?
15) In “The Last King of Scotland, what aggressive action does Dr. Nicholas Garrigan take that first draws the attention of President Amin?
16) In The Devil Wears Prada, what is the profession of Meryl Streep’s character, Miranda Priestly?
17) In Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire, what does Harry have to over come in his first challenge?
18) What is Alicia Keyes’ role in Smokin’ Aces?
18a) What was Alicia Keyes’ first 10 ten billboard hit?
19) Who supplies the voice of Buzz Lightyear for the Toy Story franchise? Tim Allen or Tom Hanks?
20) What kind of business does Bruce Willis’ character run in Perfect Stranger?
20a) What was Bronson Pinchot’s character’s name in the television series in Perfect Strangers?
21) In Fracture, a key piece of evidence inexplicably disappears from the crime scene and Ryan Gosling’s DA character, and his police team, spends most of the movie trying to find it. What was missing?
22) In what documentary does Morgan Spurlock decide to limit his diet to eating at MacDonald’s for thirty days?
23) How much weight does he gain in this thirty day experiment? a)11.3 lbs b)17.8 lbs c)24.5 lbs d)30.1 lbs e)33 lbs
23a) What is the name of the television series that has spun off this movie, also starring Morgan Spurlock?
24) The documentary Black Gold is a plea for fair trade in what commodity?
24a) What 90s alternative rock band had a it with a song entitled Black Gold?
25) Which world city is struck by fast-acting disease that turns people into zombie-like creatures in 28 Days Later?
26) What is the name of the sequel to 28 Days Later?
27) What famous outlaws had Paul Newman and Robert Redford portray in a 1969 film?
28) The same pair joined up for another very successful movie in 1974. What was it?
29) What was Cool Hand Luke in jail for?
30) Who was Jack Nicholson’s nemesis in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest?
31) In Goldfinger, James Bond is kissing a woman and spots a man about to attack him from behind. How does he do this?
32) In the same movie, what is the name of Goldfinger’s Korean henchman?
33) What is the above character’s weapon of choice?
34) In The Illusionist, what gift does Eisenheim leave behind for Chief Inspector Uhl at the end of the film?
35) In Disturbia, why is Kale sentenced to a summer of house arrest?
36) What area of the United States does the evil Max Zorin plan to destroy in A View To A Kill?
37) What was the first movie to feature the character of James Bond?
37a) What was the first Ian Fleming book to feature the character of James Bond?
38) What big 80’s band sang the theme song to A View to A Kill?
39) The Sopranos obviously drew some inspiration from the classic Goodfellas and it shows in the cast. Which of the Sopranos’ cast members below did not have a role in Goodfellas? a) James Gandolfini b) Lorraine Bracco c) Michael Imperioli d) Frank Vincent
40) Whose mother plays Joe Pesci’s character’s mother in Goodfellas?
41) What movie has George Clooney playing an obsessed military journalist in post-war Berlin?
42) Which crumbling ancient civilization raids Flint Sky’s village in Apocalypto?
43) In The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, the gold is buried in a grave marked ‘Unknown’ buried next to who? a) Joe Plummer b) Arch Stanton c) Bill Carson c) Wes Hardin